Sterett Heavy Hauling
has dedicated the past 65 years to providing quality service, personnel and equipment to the Midwest Region. Committed to customer satisfaction, we strive to deliver an efficient and professional service experience to our customers. Born out of a family-owned construction company started in 1949, we have grown into an industry-leader serving greater than a 300-mile radius from our home office located in Owensboro, Kentucky. With state-of-the-art equipment and a highly trained workforce, we have created an impeccable reputation for professionalism, quality service and safety.
We are Hiring A CDL Class A Truck Driver is an entry-level position. At minimum, the individual must have a CDL Class A driver’s license. They are required to perform inspections before and after a trip. Drivers also follow appropriate safety procedures and maintain logs of vehicle repair status and working hours. The CDL Class A Truck Driver usually works under direct supervision and expected to work long hours with constant sitting along with frequent standing and moving activity. Possible exposure to extreme heat or cold external temperatures, and subject to working weekends and holidays.
• Maneuver tractor and trailers into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew and checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned;
• Collect delivery instructions from appropriate sources, verifying instructions and routes;
• Maintain logs of working hours or of vehicle service or repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations;
• Check the truck to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order;
• Report defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the tractor and/or trailer;
• Secure equipment for transport, using ropes, blocks, chain, binders, or covers;
• Drive the tractor and/or trailer to weigh stations before and after loading and along routes to document weights and to comply with state regulations;
• Drive trucks with capacities greater than 3 tons, including tractor-trailer combinations, to transport and deliver products, cranes, or other equipment;
• Obtain receipts or signatures for services when required;
• Follow appropriate safety procedures for transporting heavy equipment and wide loads;
• Operate equipment, such as CB radios, and telephones, to exchange necessary information with dispatcher, branch manager, or other drivers;
• Maintain an acceptable driving record and be insurable with regards to driving Sterett vehicles;
• Perform basic vehicle maintenance tasks, such as adding oil, fuel, or radiator fluid or performing minor repairs;
• Inspect the load before and after to determine the physical condition;
• Check conditions of trailers after contents have been unloaded to ensure that there has been no damage;
• Read bills of lading to determine assignment details;
• Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate;
• Plan or adjust routes based on changing conditions, using computer equipment, global positioning systems (GPS) equipment, or other navigation devices to minimize fuel consumption;
• Load and unload trucks, or help others with loading and unloading, operating any special loading-related equipment on vehicles and using other equipment as necessary;
• Observe OSHA, state, and federal safety regulations;
• Subject to random D.O.T. drug screens and regulations;
• Maintain a valid commercial driver’s license;
• Obey all traffic laws, including but not limited to: driving within posted speed limits, stopping and looking for traffic at all stop signs;
• Adhere to the company’s dress code;
• Be prompt and courteous to the customer, co-workers, and everyone they interact with;
• Any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
• Must possess a CDL Class A driver’s license;
• Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent;
• Must be able to pass a drug test, background check, and fit for duty test.
• Prefer candidates with heavy haul experience;
• Prefer candidates with at least 5 years of commercial driving experience;
• Prefer candidates with proficient oral and written communication skills, technical skills, and functional skills.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires employers to identify essential functions of a role. As a result, this job requires the employee to sit, climb, stand, and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the tasks.
The employee may be required to wear appropriate PPE equipment. The employee could occasionally be exposed to extreme temperatures, fumes, or airborne particles. The noise level in the workplace is moderate.